319 North Main Street
Smith Center, KS 66967
approximately 1/2 mile south of Highway 36 on Highway 281
Transportation can be arranged to and from Smith Center Municipal Airport.
This old Victorian Mansion provides a wonderful retreat for the couple who wants to get away, or a home away from home for business people, travelers, or hunters. Groups, comprised of families and/or friends, find the setting perfect when weddings, reunions, birthdays, or memorial services are scheduled in the area. Conference/party rooms and catering can be arranged for these special events. Bring your own laptop and use our wireless high-speed internet anywhere in the mansion or use our computer in the work nook. Children are welcome, and pets may be boarded close by. Contact Marcia Suchsland (785 282-6021 or 785 282-5766) for more information regarding pet care.
To reserve a room for yourself or someone you care about, please give us a call at (785) 282-3798. Gift certificates are available.
Get information on our "Suites".
Find out what is available in our "Dining Room".
Get information on what else is available at the Mansion.
Find out what there is to do in the local area.
J. R. Burrow moved to Smith Center in the early 1880s and founded the 1st National Bank of Smith Center. The mansion was built in 1899 as a private residence for Burrow and his 3rd wife, whose maiden name was Ingalls; thus they named their new home "Ingleboro". Burrow later moved to Topeka and became president of the Central National Bank and Kansas Secretary of State. During the Burrow's years, the house and grounds covered a city block, which included a private park complete with deer, a stream, peacocks, and a gazebo.
Burrow sold the house to Henry Williams in 1905. Dr. C. C. Funk purchased the residence several years later and turned it into a hospital. Most of those born in Smith Center between 1921 and 1951 were delivered in an upstairs bedroom. In 1952, Mr. and Mrs. C. E. Mahin opened the mansion as a nursing home. They were joined by the Burleys in 1955.
In the mid 1970's through the end of the 20th century, Ingleboro served the community as the famous Ingleboro Restaurant. It was owned and operated by the Burleys, Dave Haug, David and Pam Harrison and Joe and Darla Conaway during this time period. In January of 2000, the restaurant was closed as Ingleboro Mansion continued as a bed and breakfast. In August 2000, Bruce and Bobbi Miles, moved here from Denver and owned the B&B until December 2015. From 2002 until 2006, Ingleboro Mansion Bed and Breakfast opened its doors to the public as Nancy Mitchell operated "The Tea Parlor". Tiffany Bohm operated "Tiffany's" at Ingleboro from 2012 to 2016. The current owner of Ingleboro Mansion B&B is Jean Rowlings. She moved here from the east coast and loves the historical value of this great mansion and is a most gracious host.